Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Honey Cornbread Muffins

I love, LOVE, love cornbread. It's probably one of my favorite bread side dishes but it has to be good cornbread, I mean really good cornbread. I love it when I go to a restaurant and they serve cornbread as one of the sides. There's this hole-in-the wall barbecue place not too far from my house that my husband and I really like and they have the best cornbread. We went there a couple of weeks ago and I couldn't get their cornbread off my mind. So naturally I decided to make my own.

The three requirements I have for cornbread are 1- it must have great flavor, 2- it must have great texture and 3- it can't be too dry and crumbly. Some cornbreads are more savory and I really like those, but for this recipe I decided to go slightly sweet by adding a little honey. I also added some creamed corn to give it texture. I don't consider cornbread to really be cornbread unless there are actual pieces of corn in it.

Last of all I decided to make my cornbread into muffins because I love having individual servings that are easy to pick up and put on your plate, especially when you're serving a larger group. Plus one of my favorite parts of cornbread is the top edges of the muffin so it really is a win-win situation.

When I make these I have a really hard time saving room for my other food and not just eating these for my meal. That's how much I love cornbread and that's how much I love this recipe. They are super easy and quick to whip up and would make the perfect side to any summer barbecue or fall chili or chowder.






No comments: