Thursday, May 16, 2013

Mac Salad, a.k.a. Macaroni Salad

One of the traditional sides for a luau is Mac Salad. When my husband and I threw our very first luau for our son's first birthday a few years ago, I thought that I needed to get a special mac salad recipe from my husband's family. I was surprised when my husband said there wasn't a specific recipe and that I could use any recipe that I wanted. So I used my favorite macaroni salad recipe that's been passed down from my grandma.

Macaroni salad is one of those things that can be either really good or really sketchy. We've all been to those parties where the macaroni salad is something you just avoid in the buffet line because you're not sure who made it or where it came from. And then there are always those recipes that taste like a blob of mayonnaise was dumped on the macaroni noodles. This recipe has mayonnaise but the combination of spices and seasonings is delicious and gives it tons of flavor. It also calls for miracle whip but you can substitute it for sour cream if you prefer. This recipe makes a lot but I rarely have leftovers when I serve it for a large group because it's so good!



No comments: