Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Cathy's Amazing Eggnog

I am not a fan of eggnog, gag, it really just doesn't do it for me. Wassail or hot chocolate are my Christmas drinks of choice but my husband on the other hand loves eggnog. While I dislike it so, there is however one egg nog that I actually quite like and crave during the holiday season. Almost every year since we've been married we go and visit one of my husbands friends at his friend's parent's house while they're in town visiting for Christmas. (Got that???) The friend's mom always serves us homemade egg nog and she was so kind enough to give us the recipe, THE recipe! I have made it every year since and it just wouldn't be Christmas without it.




Cathy's Amazing Eggnog

*This recipe should be made 24 hours in advance.


  • 4 eggs separated
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 8 cups milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg (plus a few more shakes if desired)
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 2/3 cup plus 6 Tablespoons sugar, divided
  • optional- 1/2 pint whipping cream or whipped cream
beat 2/3 cups sugar into egg yolks, add salt and milk. cook over low heat until scalded. COOL.

beat egg whites until foamy. add nutmeg, cinnamon, vanilla and 6 tablespoons sugar. fold egg white mixture into milk until blended.

optional: add 1/2 pint whipping cream after you fold in the egg white mixture (this is what I do) or fold in whipped cream just before serving.

No comments: