Monday, April 23, 2012

Sugar Cookie Bars

The weirdest thing happened the other day. My house was completely clean, my baby was asleep and I had absolutely nothing that I had to do....I was bored! I honestly can't remember the last time I was bored or didn't have something that needed to be done. It was a really strange feeling. So to entertain my two year old and myself, I decided to take my favorite sugar cookie recipe and make them into bars. I love a good sugar cookie but making them is sometimes a hassle. These bars were super easy and quick and the recipe makes a lot so it would be perfect for a birthday party or any function with a lot of kids.






Sugar Cookie Bars

  • 1 cup butter, room temperature
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 4 1/2 cups flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

cream butter and sugar. add eggs and beat well. add sour cream and vanilla. sift together dry ingredients and add to creamed mixture. grease a jelly roll pan. place dough in pan and smooth it out evenly with a spatula. bake at 350 degrees for 20-22 minutes. cool completely and then frost.

frosting:
start with-
  • 1/2 cup butter, very soft
  • 2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1 tablespoon milk
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla

combine. beat with hand mixer, adding more milk and powdered sugar as needed until you get the perfect creamy consistency that you want. add food coloring if desired.

3 comments:

Andrea Coles said...

Uh... YUM!!! I'm obsessed with sugar cookies and anything that makes them easier is something that will make me smile. Thanks Val for being so on top of it that you can imagine up great recipes like these! You're awesome and you make the rest of us look bad :)

Andrea Coles said...

I tried these tonight and the bars turned out more like cornbread than cookies. Then I realized that the altitude probably has something to do with it... except I'm not sure how to adjust it going from high altitude to low... any ideas??

Valerie said...

Drea- I'm sorry they didn't turn out right! I'm not exactly sure how to adjust it for elevation but I'm thinking that they probably just cooked too long. Maybe you just need to decrease the cooking time? Try cooking it until it's just barely golden on the edges or take it out even before then. When I cut mine they almost looked a little underdone but they were perfect. I don't know if this helps at all but I hope it does! Good luck!