Friday, March 16, 2012

Linen Tidies Tutorial

Here is another house organizational tutorial. I posted it on my private blog and I had friends pinning it on Pinterest but since that blog is private people can't open it up to get the full instructions. So here it is for everyone. :)

I found this tutorial online and I had to try it. I've been in the process of organizing my linen closet and I thought these would be perfect for all of the extra sets of sheets that I have. I've also seen it done this way, but I tried it and didn't really like how you have to fold up the pillow case. After spending the time to fold sheets I don't want to have to spend more time folding a pillow case and trying to make it look neat and perfect. I want a bag that holds everything and makes all of my linens look nice and uniform without too much hassle.

These bags are so easy to make. After making one I had the instructions memorized. If I could work on one with no interruptions (which would be a miracle with two kids) I could probably get it done in about 30 minutes. The part that takes the longest is cutting out the letter and sewing it on.


I followed the tutorial and it was definitely lacking in detail. Here are my own instructions. I've made a few changes to some of the measurements and instructions because the original ones are a little off. For instance it calls for 1 yard of fabric for each bag and a 45" drawstring. I made 2 bags out of 1 yard and a 35" drawstring is more than enough.

*I apologize for the low quality of the pictures. I took them when it was kind of overcast so the lighting was terrible.*

Linen Tidies Tutorial

Materials and Tools Needed for 1 Bag:

  • 1/2 yard plain white cotton fabric
  • 35' drawstring cord or ribbon
  • scrap fabric for applique letter
  • sewing spray (optional)

1. Wash and then iron your fabric before cutting and sewing.

2. Cut two 13.5" x 20.5" rectangles from your white cotton fabric.



3. Decided what letter you want to applique on the bag. You can do a K, Q, or S for the size of your sheets or you can do the first initial of the person whose sheets they are. For example I did a T for the extra set of sheets for Ty's bed. I found a font that I liked, enlarged the T, printed it out and then cut it out. This is your letter template.

4. Using the letter template, cut the letter out of your scrap piece of fabric. You can pin the template to your fabric or use the sewing spray to get it to temporarily stick to your fabric.

5. Sew the letter to one of the bag rectangles 3 inches from the bottom right or left hand corner. I used the sewing spray to hold the letter in place and then sewed around the letter with the sewing machine. You could also hand stitch the letter.




6. With right sides facing, pin the two rectangles together on the bottom and two sides. With your pins, mark 1/2" down on one side and then another 1 inch down from that.


These two pins near the top are marking the 1/2" and 1 1/2" marks.

7. Sew down one side, across the bottom, and then up the other side, stopping 1 1/2" from the top. Backstitch to secure thread and cut thread. Leave a 1" gap and stitch the last 1/2" to the top, backstitching to secure thread.


8. Clip the bottom corners being careful not to cut through your stitches.



9. Press the seams open on both sides so that they lay flat.



10. Stitch 2" down on the seam allowances about 1/4" away on either side of the opening to reinforce the drawstring.



11. Fold the top edge down 1/2" and press.



12. Fold the top edge down another 1" and press.


The drawstring opening should look like this.

13. Edge stitch along the bottom of the fold to make a casing.




14. Cut your drawstring cord or ribbon to 35". Tie a knot at each end. Using a safety pin, thread the cord through the casing.




15. Turn the bag out. Push the corners out so that they are nice and square. Iron.


You're all done!


No comments: