Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Whole Grain Banana-Nut Muffins

It's a rare thing when bananas go bad at my house because my husband goes through them so quickly. So I was really surprised this morning when I noticed that we had not one, but THREE bananas that were turning brown. My first instinct was to make banana bread but that's so typical and kind of boring and I knew I'd end up eating most of it myself since my husband doesn't eat a lot of sweets. So I decided to make something a little more healthy in hopes that I would have a little help eating it. I guess that technically these muffins aren't super healthy but they have bananas and whole wheat flour in them so that counts as being healthy right? Anyway, healthy or not, these muffins are really good, good enough that my two-year-old just ate a whole one by himself. These muffins would be great as part of breakfast or as a snack anytime.



Whole Grain Banana Nut Muffins
(recipe adapted from here)

  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup butter, softened
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups mashed ripe banana (about 3 bananas)
  • 1/3 cup sour cream
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 1/3 cup pecan chips
  • 1/3 brown sugar
preheat oven to 350 degrees. line muffin tins with about 15 liners.

in a medium bowl, whisk together flours, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. set aside. in a large bowl cream butter, sugar, and honey together. add in eggs and mix until just combined. mix in mashed banana, sour cream, and vanilla. mix in flour mixture until just combined. 

divide batter evenly in muffin tins. combine pecans and brown sugar and sprinkle on top of each muffin. bake 23-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. cool 3-5 minutes and then remove muffins to a cooling rack to finish cooling.

No comments: