Monday, March 7, 2011

Chicken and Dumplings

A while ago my husband randomly said that he really liked chicken and dumplings. I guess I took that as a challenge because I was determined to come up with a really good recipe that he would love. I was a little nervous about making dumplings because I wasn't sure how difficult they would be to make. I decided to make things easy on myself and used Bisquick with a little added basil and it couldn't have been more simple. Yay!


My brother is going to BYU and lives close by so he usually comes over for dinner on Sundays. Those are the best days for me to make big meals because I have two boys to feed and they eat a lot so I know I won't have a ton of left overs. I made this soup a few Sundays ago and thankfully it was a big success. It's basically a really good chicken noodle soup but with dumplings instead of noodles. We all loved it! This recipe will definitely be a regular at my house!


And just as a side note, if you do end up having some leftovers, store the dumplings and the soup separately so that the dumplings don't get all soggy!



Chicken and Dumplings
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 3 cans chicken broth
  • 3 cups cooked, cubed chicken (I like to buy rotisserie chicken)
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1/2 teaspoon basil
  • 2 large ribs celery, sliced
  • 2 large carrots, sliced
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
  • 1/2 cup frozen peas
  • 2- 5oz. cans (1 1/3 cup) evaporated milk
  • 1/2 cup whole milk
  • 1/4 cup flour
*dumplings:
  • 1 recipe of Bisquick dumplings (recipe is on the side of the box)
  • 1/4 teaspoon basil
in a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat and add garlic and onions. saute for a few minutes then add chicken broth, chicken, bay leaf, and basil. bring to a boil. add celery and carrots and then reduce heat to a simmer. cover and cook until celery and carrots are tender. 

meanwhile, prepare dumplings according to box directions, adding in basil before you stir the mixture together. 

once celery and carrots are just about done, add parsley and peas and then stir in evaporated milk. in a small bowl, whisk milk and flour together until smooth. slowly pour milk mixture into the pot while whisking. turn up the heat and bring to a boil. drop prepared Bisquick by small spoonfuls as they will puff up (I used a mini ice cream scoop). reduce heat. cook uncovered 10 minutes. cover and cook 5-10 minutes more, or until dumplings are cooked through.

2 comments:

Katie said...

I love chicken and dumplins!!! I'm now a big fan of thick bulky pieces of dumplins. I like to roll out the dough and cut it in squares! Mmm, this is making me hungry for lunch :) thanks for sharing!!

JWolfgramm said...

I made this tonight for dinner and my husband and I both LOVED it!! I forwarded it to my mom in Maryland! Thanks Valerie. Keep it up. I try your recipes all the time :)