Monday, February 28, 2011

Skillet Enchiladas

My friend Amber gave me this recipe and it is amazing! I made it the other night with just a few minor adjustments and it was a BIG time winner with the husband. These enchiladas are cheesy and creamy and loaded with meat, just how my husband likes it. And like its name says, you make these enchiladas in a large skillet but I actually made them in my beloved Le Creuset dutch oven and it worked perfectly. Serve these enchiladas with some yummy spanish rice and you've got a killer meal!



Skillet Enchiladas
  • 1 1/2 lb. lean ground beef
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 1 can cream of mushroom soup
  • 1- 10oz. can red enchilada sauce
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1- 4oz. can Ortega diced green chilis, mild
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 2 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
  • 8-10 corn tortillas
  • vegetable oil
in a large skillet, brown beef and onion; drain grease. stir in soup, enchilada sauce, milk, chilis, and cayenne pepper. bring to a boil. reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.

while sauce is simmering, heat some vegetable oil in a small skillet. soften tortillas in heated oil and then place on a paper towel to drain. place 1/4 cup of cheese on each tortilla and roll up, reserving 1/2 cup of cheese for later. place tortillas in sauce, cover and cook until heated through, about 5 minutes. sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup of cheese. cover and cook until cheese melts.

3 comments:

Katie @ HunnyBee Blog said...

This looks soo yummy!!

Erin said...

K Valerie my mouth just watered. haha I will make these very soon.

Michelle said...

yum, i just made these for my husband for lunch and he loved them! they melt in your mouth