Monday, February 21, 2011

Chocolate, Caramel Dipped Pretzel Rods

Back in junior high I worked at a candy store during the holiday seasons. The owner of the store lived in my neighborhood so all of my friends and I would go and work together. The store made homemade salt water taffy, fudge, caramel apples, and tons of other yummy sweets including dipped pretzel rods. Those were my favorite! Not only did I like to make them but I loved to eat them! It's been years since I worked at the candy store and I've always wanted to make the dipped pretzels by myself at home but I've just never gotten around to it. This last week I decided I was going to take the time to finally make them and I'm SO glad I did! I don't know why it took me so long to make them, they're super fun and easy to make and so delicious!

Besides being addictively good, I love these dipped pretzels because they are the perfect treat for holidays. You can customize and decorate them for any holiday and they make great neighbor gifts. I was going to make cute Valentine's Day pretzels but didn't get around to it in time so I just made regular dipped pretzels. Either way, they taste amazing!




Here is a list of tips and advice to help make your pretzel dipping easier!

*Pretzels- Don't buy cheap Walmart pretzels because they will break and you will be sad. I used Rold Gold pretzels and they worked great. I've heard that Kroger pretzels work really well too.

*Caramel- You want thin layers and homemade caramel is just too thick so make things easy on yourself and buy a bag of Kraft caramels.

*Chocolate- Ok, when I made these I went to the craft store and bought candy melts. I think they're so great because they taste really good and are really easy to use because they don't require the addition of shortening in order to melt them. I like the Wilton Candy Melts and the Make n Mold Candy Wafers.

OR....you can always use chocolate chips, they work great too. If you do, make sure you stir shortening in with the chocolate chips or they won't melt right. Trust me, it will be gross. The formula for melting chocolate chips is 1-2 Tablespoons shortening to every 1 cup of chocolate chips. Melt in the microwave in thirty second intervals, stirring after each interval.

*Dipping- For these pretzels less is more. You want thin layers so that they won't break easily and so that they'll look pretty. When you lay your dipped pretzels down on wax paper you don't want a ton of caramel and chocolate oozing out from the sides.

*Decorating- The possibilities are endless! I think my favorite is white chocolate sprinkled with cinnamon sugar. And I haven't tried this yet but it sounds really good, milk chocolate sprinkled with toffee bits. Or you can use a fork to drizzle white chocolate over a milk or dark chocolate covered pretzel. Seriously, there are so many cute and yummy combinations so be creative!


Chocolate, Caramel Dipped Pretzel Rods

  • pretzel rods
  • chocolate for melting- white, milk, dark, etc.
  • shortening if you use chocolate chips
  • kraft caramels
  • any other toppings such as cinnamon sugar, toffee bits, chopped nuts, sprinkles, etc.
  • wax paper
  • non-stick cooking spray
lay down wax paper and spray really well with non-stick cooking spray (if you don't do this your pretzels will most likely break when you take them off). 

in a bowl, melt caramels according to package melting instructions. pour caramel into a tall cup or mug. dip a pretzel into the caramel and turn so that the pretzel is completely coated except for about one inch at the end of the pretzel. slowly spin the pretzel to remove excess caramel, remember, you want a thin layer. using the edge of the cup, scrape the caramel off of the bottom side of the pretzel and set pretzel on wax paper. let cool and dry completely.

in a bowl, melt chocolate. pour chocolate into a tall cup or mug. coat caramel covered pretzel in chocolate following the same instructions for the caramel layer. lay pretzel back down on wax paper making sure it's still coated really well in non-stick cooking spray. let cool and dry completely.

2 comments:

Margarita said...

These are a big hit in my home! I usually decorate using candy pieces in seasonal colors! I've never done the carmel, but will try that! YUM!

Nivedha said...

MMM that looks SO yummy

PS Please follow my blog! ♥