Thursday, January 27, 2011

Pantry List

I'm at my mom's house in sunny Las Vegas right now visiting for a few days. She's nice enough to let me experiment in her kitchen so I've spent the last few hours making a dessert that I've been trying to perfect for a long time. Unfortunately this attempt wasn't completely successful, but I'm definitely getting closer!

While baking in her kitchen, I went through all of my mom's cupboards just to see what she has. I'm always so impressed with her fully stocked cupboards and hope that someday mine will be that full. My mom has always said that besides your canned food storage (wheat, oats, etc.) you need to have 3 months worth of all of the basics that you use on a regular basis.

So, I've made a list, based on my mom's cupboards and what I use regularly, of all of the pantry basics that I personally want to start stocking up on. I'm sure that over the years I will either add or delete things from this list, but I think this is a good place to start from. And I think my husband will thank me for this because once our cupboards are all stocked up that will mean a lot less last minute grocery runs for him!


Pantry List

Baking and Cooking Staples
  1. Flour
  2. Sugar
  3. Cocoa Powder
  4. Brown Sugar
  5. Salt
  6. Baking Soda
  7. Baking Powder
  8. Chocolate Chips
  9. Pam Cooking Spray
  10. Crisco Shortening
  11. Molasses
  12. Cornstarch
  13. Corn Flake Crumbs
  14. Bread Crumbs- Plain and Italian
  15. Chicken Bouillon Cubes
  16. Beef Bouillon Cubes


Spices and Extracts

I like to buy most of these in bulk at Costco. These are just a few basics. If I can, I like to try to have two small bottles on hand of all of the other spices I use so that when I run out I have a back up.
  1. Vanilla Extract
  2.  Peppermint Extract
  3. Almond Extract
  4. Pepper
  5. Cinnamon
  6. Garlic Salt
  7. Nutmeg
  8. Dried Onion
  9. Taco Seasoning


Condiments, Oils, Vinegars, and Sauces
  1.  Ketchup
  2. Mustard
  3. Mayonnaise
  4. Miracle Whip
  5. Barbeque Sauce
  6. Salad Dressing (Ranch)
  7. Pickles
  8. Olives
  9. Salsa
  10. Vegetable Oil
  11. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  12. Vinegar
  13. Red Wine Vinegar
  14. Balsamic
  15. Apple Cider Vinegar
  16. Worcestershire Sauce
  17. Soy Sauce
  18. Spaghetti  Sauce



Canned Pantry Items
  1. Diced Tomatoes
  2. Stewed Tomatoes
  3. Tomato Paste
  4. Whole Tomatoes
  5. Chicken Broth
  6. Cream of Chicken Soup
  7. Cream of Mushroom Soup
  8. Cream of Celery Soup
  9. Canned Chicken
  10. Tuna Fish
  11. Pumpkin Puree
  12. Pineapple Chunks
  13. Pineapple Tidbits
  14. Crushed Pineapple
  15. Apple Pie Filling
  16. Pears
  17. Mandarin Oranges
  18. Black Beans
  19. Kidney Beans
  20. Chili Beans
  21. Pinto Beans
  22. Peas
  23. Green Beans
  24. Corn
  25. Mushrooms
  26. Sweetened Condensed Milk
  27. Evaporated Milk



Other Basics
  1. Peanut Butter
  2. Jam
  3. Honey
  4. Syrup
  5. Pasta Noodles- Spaghetti, Macaroni, Penne, Bowtie, etc.
  6. Rice
  7. Jell-O and Pudding Packets
  8. Cake Mixes (I like to have a variety like White, Yellow, Chocolate, German Chocolate, etc.)
  9. Brownie Mixes
  10. Apple Juice

3 comments:

Jayci said...

your mom has a small grocery store!! i'm so impressed and so jealous - with moving around every few years we can't get more than we need at the moment.. a bottle of ketchup takes us forever to get through. So we only have 1 of what we need, rarely more (unless it's red curry - mmm I always have 2 tins - ha!). Someday I'll be able to have a well-stocked pantry! AND KEEP IT!

Tran said...

I totally agree with your mom having extra items on hand. I do that at home with items that I know I use more regular than others to avoid having to run to the store while I am baking or cooking and I run out of a particular item. Some others I can not stock up cause I don't use it quick enough as to avoid expiration dates.

michelle said...

Those pictures are so pleasing! It's so wonderful to be able to "shop" from your own home when you're out of something. An enviable pantry for sure.