Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Loaded Baked Potato Soup

For years I have wanted a Le Creuset dutch oven and my cute husband finally got me one for Christmas! It is beautiful. I got it in the ocean color (as seen below) and I absolutely love it!


Anyway, the first recipe I made in my new dutch oven was this soup and it was so delicious! It's loaded with meat and veggies and I love the creamy texture from the mashed potatoes. It was definitely a winner with the husband. I served it with some good, crusty sourdough bread and it was perfection!



Loaded Baked Potato Soup

  • 6-8 slices bacon, sliced into about 1/2 inch cubes
  • 1 large carrot, finely diced
  • 2 celery stalks, finely diced
  • 1/2 onion, finely chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 cups cubed ham
  • 14.5 oz. can chicken broth
  • 1 1/4 cup milk, divided
  • 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 4 large potatoes, baked, peeled and mashed
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/4 cup sour cream
  • 3/4 cup freshly grated cheddar cheese + more for garnish
  • thinly sliced green onion
in a large pot or dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until browned and crisp. transfer bacon to a paper towel lined plate. pour out bacon grease, reserving 1 Tablespoon in the pot. saute carrots, celery, and onion in bacon grease for 10 minutes or until tender, stirring often. stir in garlic and ham and cook 3 minutes. stir in chicken broth, 1/2 cup milk and cream. 

in a separate bowl, add salt, pepper and 3/4 cup milk to mashed potatoes and mix with an electric hand mixer until combined. stir mashed potatoes into soup until combined. stir in half of the cooked bacon. heat for 10 minutes.

stir in sour cream and 3/4 cup cheddar cheese until smooth. simmer on low until ready to serve. top with bacon, cheese and green onion.

3 comments:

Katie @ HunnyBee Blog said...

I love potato soup!!

Jayci said...

oh another spot for envy - Le Creuset is on my wishlist, and has been for a short while.. I may just have to gift it to myself soon. AND try that soup while I'm at it. It sounds so good!

michelle said...

Gorgeous. So much prettier than the one I bought at Costco!