Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Pumpkin Pie Bars

Here is a yummy pumpkin recipe just in time for Thanksgiving. I usually love all things pumpkin but I just do not like pumpkin pie at all! For some reason the texture does not appeal to me whatsoever so I always go for the apple or chocolate cream pies at Thanksgiving. I love these bars because they taste just like pumpkin pie only with a better creamy and crumbly texture. I also really like the spices in this recipe because I feel like they give these bars a yummier flavor than most pumpkin pies. So instead of pumpkin pie, I make these so that I don't feel like I'm missing out on the traditional Thanksgiving dessert. :)


Pumpkin Pie Bars
  • 1 1/3 cups flour
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 3/4 cup sugar, divided
  • 3/4 cup cold butter
  • 1 cup oats
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
  • 1- 8oz. package cream cheese
  • 3 eggs
  • 1- 15oz. can pumpkin puree
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
preheat oven to 350 degrees. line a 9x13 inch glass baking dish with foil and grease.

combine flour, brown sugar, 1/4 cup sugar and mix well. cut in butter with pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture looks like coarse crumbs. stir in oats and pecans. reserve 1 cup of mixture and then press the remaining mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan.

in a medium bowl, beat together cream cheese, 1/2 cup sugar, eggs, pumpkin puree and spices with an electric mixer until well blended. pour over crust. sprinkle with 1 cup reserved oatmeal mixture.

bake 35-40 minutes. lift bars from pan by holding onto the foil. set on a cooling rack and cool completely so that bars can set up. (I like to finish cooling them in the refrigerator so they set up completely). cut into bars and store in refrigerator.

No comments: