Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Spiced Apple Cider Punch

My family will tell you that I'm obsessed with beverages. I'm always craving a yummy drink whether it's soda, punch, hot chocolate, smoothies, you name it! One of the things I love about throwing parties is making something delicious to drink. The only problem is that kids usually come to most of our parties and so I tend to just stick with water to avoid messy spills. However, I threw a Halloween party last week and since the only kids that were there were all one-years old, I felt like it was safe to make a special drink. I made this recipe and I'm still craving it days later. The day after the party my husband asked if I had the stuff to make it again just for us. I wish I did because even though it makes a lot, I'm pretty certain I could have finished it off in just a couple of days. :)

Anyway, this punch is really good and perfect for any fall or winter party. The instructions are to chill it and serve it cold but I'm sure it would be delicious served warm as well! Oh, and when you buy apple cider, make sure you're actually buying cider and not juice, sometimes the labels can be a little confusing.


Spiced Apple Cider Punch
  • 1 1/2 cup sugar
  • 3 liters apple cider, divided
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground allspice
  • 1 can (12 ounces) frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
  • 1 cup pulp free orange juice (I actually use orange-pineapple juice)
  • 1 1/2 liters ginger ale, chilled
in a large pot, combine sugar, 1 cup cider, cinnamon and allspice. whisk over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. remove from heat. pour in remaining apple cider, orange juice concentrate and orange juice and stir together. cover and refrigerate until chilled.

just before serving, transfer to a punch bowl and stir in ginger ale.

2 comments:

Caryn said...

Sounds yummy! Let's make it this weekend.

Shannon said...

I made this for Halloween. My dad said it tasted like Apple Pie in a glass. It was a hit! Thanks, Val.