Thursday, October 7, 2010

Buttermilk Syrup

For some reason I used to be afraid of making homemade syrup. Ok, maybe I wasn't really afraid it's more like I was just too lazy. I thought that it would take too much effort and too much time to make it from scratch and what was the point when I could easily buy it from the store? So when I finally decided to make it for the first time I realized how easy it actually is and felt dumb for being so lazy. Now that I've done it, there is no going back! No offense to the store bought stuff which is good, but it just doesn't compare to fresh, warm homemade syrup, especially when it's cold outside....mmmm!


Buttermilk Syrup
  • 1 stick butter
  • 2/3 cup buttermilk (I like to use the real stuff for this recipe)
  • 1 1/4 cups sugar
  • 1 Tablespoon karo syrup
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
in a LARGE saucepan (use a large pan or the syrup will overflow), combine butter, buttermilk, sugar and karo syrup. while stirring, bring to a boil and boil for 2 minutes. take off heat and stir in vanilla and soda. serve while warm.

2 comments:

Andrea Coles said...

I make one similar to this. Add in a little maple extract with the vanilla and see how you like it. It's fabulous on buttermilk pancakes but I need to try your pumpkin pancakes - they look delicious!

Our Family said...

This stuff is the best. I like it so much better then the typical maple or fruit syrup. Thanks for the recipe.