Saturday, August 7, 2010

Mexican Casserole

I'm always on the look out for new, healthy dinner recipes so that as my family grows I'll have a nice variety of dinners to make for them. Lately however, I've been a little disappointed in the recipes I've found. It seems like almost every recipe calls for cream of chicken/mushroom soup or onion soup mix. I found this recipe the other day and it didn't call for any of those ingredients so I decided to give it a try. This dish is simple but it turned out very yummy. My husband really liked it and I think kids would really like it too!




Mexican Casserole

• 1 1/2 lb. lean ground beef
• 1 onion, diced
• 1 1/2 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
• 2 (8oz) cans tomato sauce
• 1 1/2 teaspoon oregano
• 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
• 1 (15oz) can corn, drained
• 1 (14.5oz) can whole or diced tomatoes
• 1 small can sliced olives
• 3/4-1 cup grated cheese (I use the Mexican pre-grated cheese blend)

preheat oven to 350 degrees. brown the beef with the onion. meanwhile, cook macaroni according to package directions. combine everything except for cheese. pour into a 9x13 casserole dish and cover with foil. bake for 45 minutes. remove from oven and sprinkle with cheese. cover and bake 15 minutes.

5 comments:

Andrea Coles said...

Yummy! I love that the ingredients are all so healthy. I'm definitely trying this one out!

Shirley said...

This was amazing! Everyone loved it and it was super easy. Ryan ate tons of it! So definitely good for kids! Thanks Valerie!

Becca and Brian said...

I'm making this recipe but I have 2 questions! What size are the tomato sauce can's and do I drain the tomato's and corn? Thanks I hope this turns out good!
Becca

Valerie said...

Hi Becca! Here are the sizes for the cans (I've also updated them in the recipe).

-2 (8oz.) cans tomato sauce
-1 (14.5oz) can whole or diced tomatoes

Also, drain the corn but do not drain the tomatoes.

I hope that helps!!!

Valerie said...

Hi Becca! Here are the sizes for the cans (I've also updated them in the recipe).

-2 (8oz.) cans tomato sauce
-1 (14.5oz) can whole or diced tomatoes

Also, drain the corn but do not drain the tomatoes.

I hope that helps!!!