Monday, July 19, 2010

Strawberry Layer Cake

Ok, so people are usually surprised when I tell them that I do not like strawberries. That's right, the fruit that everyone seems to love, I do not like. I thought that maybe it was just a kid thing and that as I grew up I would start to like them, but no, I still have not found a love or even like for this popular fruit. However, I do have to say that I am very fond of this yummy strawberry cake. I got this recipe from a recipe club and not only does it look good, but it tastes GOOD! It's light and fruity and I think it would be great for any spring or summer birthday celebration.


Strawberry Layer Cake
  • 1 butter cake mix
  • 2 tablespoons flour
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 3/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 4 eggs
  • 2/3 cup frozen sweetened sliced strawberries
  • 1 small box strawberry jell-o
in a large bowl, combine cake mix, flour, water, oil and eggs. beat with an electric mixer for 2 minutes. add frozen strawberries and strawberry jell-o and beat well.

pour into two greased and floured 8 or 9 inch round cake pans. bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes. cool 10 minutes in the pan then turn out and cool completely on a wire rack. frost with strawberry frosting.

*strawberry frosting:
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1 lb. powdered sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2/3 cup sliced frozen strawberries with juice
in a medium bowl, cream together butter, sugar and salt. whip until light and fluffy. beat in strawberries and juice. add more powdered sugar if necessary to make frosting firm enough to frost with.

No comments: