Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Homemade Oreo Cookies

First off, I think these cookies are SO much better than store bought oreos. Don't get me wrong, I like store bought oreos, but these homemade oreos are so soft and yummy that I can't help liking them more. I made a double batch thinking they would last for awhile but no, they were gone way too quickly. I took a plate over to a family get together and I think everyone wished I would have brought more because they were seriously gone in minutes. My husband was also very disappointed when he came home the other day and found that they were all gone. I guess I'll just have to make some more very soon. :)

Homemade Oreo Cookies
  • 1 box devil's food cake mix
  • 2 eggs
  • 3/4 cup shortening
  • 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
  • 2 tablespoons butter, softened
  • 2 cups powdered sugar
preheat oven to 350 degrees. with a hand mixer, combine cake mix, eggs, and shortening. using a small ice cream scoop, scoop out cookies onto baking sheet. bake 10 minutes. cookies should be soft. remove from oven and transfer cookies to cooling rack.

with a hand mixer, combine cream cheese, butter, and sugar. frost the bottom of a cookie and then top with another cookie to make a sandwich. continue with remaining cookies. makes about 25-30 cookie sandwiches.

8 comments:

DOEHLER DAYS said...

WOW!!! Those look amazing. I'll have to try these someday. Thanks for sharing.

jessica said...

I love these, but haven't made them for a while. This post makes me want some... now! Love the photo, by the way!

Micah and BriAnne said...

I LOVE these cookies...way too much! It's fun to color the frosting for the occassion too, orange for halloween, red for Christmas,etc. Yummy!!

Julie said...

I was going to say that about the frosting colors too! There's also two other variations that I LOVE! Make it using a spice cake mix around Halloween/Thanksgiving time. MMMMMmmm! You can also use the chocolate cake, put some softened vanilla ice cream in the middle, then freeze them to make homemade ice cream sandwiches. YUMMY!!!

Valerie said...

Oh man, I am in trouble! Thanks for the yummy ideas. I can't wait to try them!!!

michelle said...

I love these! We made pink frosting for them once and my daughter was over the moon.

Mom on a Mission said...

Hey aunt Val this is Leah. Just wanted to say that these cookies are the bomb! I had to make a dessert for school and came onto your website to see what cool stuff there was. I found these cookies and thought these would be delicous. They are so great!! Thanks Val :)

Justin + Liesl said...

Val! Made these for my superbowl party and then took some to work today! Gone within minutes! Thanks for the recipe! Hope you are doing well!