Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Corned Beef and Cabbage

It has become a tradition in the United States to eat corned beef and cabbage on St. Patrick's Day. I looked up the origin of this dish and while technically it did not originate in Ireland, it has been an integral part of Irish-American culture. My mom would make this dish fairly often while I was growing up and I have always loved it. I made it once for my husband when we were dating and I think it really impressed him! So in the spirit of St. Patrick's Day, which is tomorrow, I thought I would post this recipe. It's made in the crockpot and it is so incredibly easy to prepare. If you've never had corned beef and cabbage before you should give it a try, tomorrow would be the perfect day to do so!!!

*p.s. When I serve this dish I like to put Vegetable Supreme Seasoning on the table so that people can sprinkle it on their cabbage, it's really good! Also, I have a really good creamed potato and pea side dish recipe that I like to serve with this meal. I'll post that recipe tomorrow. :)




Corned Beef and Cabbage
  • 3 lb corned beef
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 head green cabbage
place corned beef in crock pot, fat side up. sprinkle packet of peppercorns over the top, if included in the package with the meat. pour water over all. cook at low setting for 6-8 hours. remove from crockpot and let stand, covered with foil, for 10-15 minutes. trim fat off the top, if desired, and slice beef for serving.

wash cabbage and cut end to end into 8 wedges. place in boiling, salted water and boil covered until almost fork tender but still a little firm. drain water. sprinkle with Vegetable Supreme if desired.

2 comments:

the Mrs. said...

This is one of my favorite dishes! So easy yet so yummy. I'll have to give the veggie seasoning a try, instead of the same old S & P.

Caryn said...

Wow, the picture looks great. You've got great photography skills as well as cooking skills!