Saturday, March 20, 2010

Cafe Rio Style Burritos

I've been wanting to post this recipe for a while but the last time I made these burritos they were all eaten up before I could take a picture. This is my ultimate go-to recipe. It's easy, it turns out amazing every time, and everyone always loves it. This is actually one of the only recipes that I have completely memorized. One of my mom's friends made up this recipe and it was inspired by the burritos at Cafe Rio. If you don't live close to a Cafe Rio then I am sorry, but at least now you can make these delicious burritos!

Just 2 tips- The recipe calls for monterey jack cheese but for some reason my grocery store only sells monterey jack in a blend with cheddar. Either tastes great! And I have always used large tortillas but I can never finish a whole burrito on my own. So if you have kids, I recommend using medium sized tortillas.



Cafe Rio Style Burritos
  • cooked chicken, cubed or shredded
  • 1 package spanish rice, cooked according to package directions (you will probably need a can of diced tomatoes)
  • 1 can black beans, drained
  • 1 large can mild green chili sauce
  • monterey jack cheese
  • large flour tortillas
combine chicken, rice and beans together. mix in 1/2 of the can of chili sauce. divide mix between tortillas. roll up tortillas and place in a baking dish. top with remaining chili sauce and then with the cheese. bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until cheese is melted.

4 comments:

Micah and BriAnne said...

I totally needed one more recipe for next weeks menu, and I'm so using this one! Since we moved back to AZ from Utah, we have missed Cafe Rio like crazy! This will be a welcomed meal at our house. And so inexpensive, ya I'm diggin it! Thanks!

AshleyS said...

i used to love when you would make this when we lived together in college! i also have this one memorized. we just ate at cafe rio today actually (orange county has one now), so it's ironic that you posted this.

Jess said...

You've got my mouth watering. I would have to go to the store...hmmm. We'll see. If not tonight this one is definitely one to try in the near future. yummy!

Anonymous said...

This is another one that was a hit with Mark's children. They even loved the leftovers.
Grandma B.