Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Mince Pies

This is kind of a random recipe but my mom made these a few months ago and I thought it would be fun to post it since it's something different. My husband told me that mince pies are served and eaten regularly in England just like cookies are served and eaten regularly here in the United States. The big difference is that the mince pies my husband had in England were always store bought and these ones are homemade. Mince pies are made with a pie crust that is filled with mincemeat. Now I know that a meat pie does not sound very appetizing, but mincemeat is actually made from minced fruit and it has sort of a raisiny flavor. My husband said that he liked these homemade pies better than the ones he had in England so if you're in the mood for a sweet treat that's a little different, give these a try!



Mince Pies

Step 1:
  • make your favorite pie crust and use a circle cookie cutter to cut out an even number of circles.
Step 2:
  • spoon about 1 tablespoon of mincemeat onto half of the circle cutouts and then cover with the other half of the cutouts, making little sandwiches.
Step 3:
  • press the edges together so that the pies are completely sealed. you can use the tongs of a fork to decorate the edges of the pie.
Step 4:
  • cook the pies according to your pie crust directions.

No comments: