Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Sweet and Sour Chicken

My sister-in-law Kristin is an amazing cook and this is one of her recipes. I tried it for the first time last night and it was so good, just like I knew it would be. My husband loved it and I think this makes a great family meal because not only will adults like it but kids will like it too. The recipe calls for a red or green pepper but I used a yellow one because I had it on hand so it didn't turn out very colorful but it sure was delicious!
Sweet and Sour Chicken
  • 5-6 chicken breasts, cubed
  • 1-2 eggs
  • cornstarch (in a bag)

dip the cubed chicken in the egg and then shake up in the bag of cornstarch. brown the chicken in oil.

  • 1 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup ketchup
  • 1 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 1 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1 teaspoon garlic salt

combine the sauce ingredients and heat on the stove while chicken is browning. sauce will thicken a bit.

  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 green or red pepper, chopped
  • 1 can pineapple chunks, drained
  • 1 can sliced water chestnuts, drained

saute the onion and pepper in one tablespoon of oil until cooked. add the pineapple, water chestnuts, browned and cooked chicken and sauce. simmer with lid on for about 15-20 minutes. garnish with toasted sesame seeds and serve with rice.

No comments: