Sunday, January 31, 2010

Enchilada Pie Casserole

This is a recipe that my mother-in-law would make when my husband was growing up. It's one of his favorite meals and so since we've been married, I've made it a tradition to make it for him each year for his birthday. This recipe is made in a round casserole dish and is the perfect size for a small family. If you will be feeding more people I would recommend making two casseroles. You can garnish the top of this casserole with tomatoes but my husband and I don't really care for tomatoes so I left them off, but tomatoes would definitely make this dish more colorful if you do like them!





Enchilada Pie Casserole
  • 1 lb. ground beef
  • 1 large onion, diced
  • 1 15oz. can tomato sauce
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 2 tablespoons chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 6 corn tortillas
  • sliced olives
  • 1 1/2 cup monterey jack cheese (I like to use a pre-grated colby and monterey jack blend)
  • 1 tomato sliced or diced for garnish
brown beef and onion. drain off fat and stir in tomato sauce, water, chili powder, salt and pepper. simmer for 30 minutes. meanwhile, spread butter on tortillas. cover and set aside.

using a round casserole dish, layer meat sauce, olives, cheese, then tortilla. repeat 5 times. sprinkle last tortilla with remaining cheese. garnish with tomato and bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.

2 comments:

Brittney Paul said...

How funny-my friend just had me over for lunch last week and made this exact recipe. It's delicious and I'm actually making it tonight for Steve! By the way, you should post your Cafe Rio Burrito recipe, I still make it all the time.

Anonymous said...

I made this for a family dinner and everyone loved it. There wasn't even a bite to take home. It is a super recipe. I love finding new things to make on your blog.

Grandma B.