Friday, January 22, 2010

Blueberry-Sour Cream Pound Cake

I got this recipe out of a magazine months ago and it looked so good but I never got around to making it. This last week I went to a recipe club where the theme was make something new that you've never made before but that you've been wanting to make. So I thought that was the perfect opportunity to try this pound cake. It's always a little scary when you make something you've never made before, especially when you are serving it to people other than your family, but thankfully this recipe did not disappoint! This pound cake is so soft and heavenly and the flavor of the blueberries with the lemon cream topping is perfect. I think my favorite part about this cake is the shimmering sugar crust, it just makes it so pretty!








Blueberry-Sour Cream Pound Cake
  • 3 ¼ cups flour plus 2 tablespoons
  • 1 tablespoon coarse salt
  • 3 sticks unsalted butter, MUST be at room temperature
  • ½ cup sour cream
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 9 large eggs, MUST be at room temperature
  • 2 cups blueberries
  • 4 tablespoons sanding sugar
preheat oven to 325 degrees. butter two 5x9 inch loaf pans. combine 3 ¼ cups flour and salt in a bowl. in another bowl cream butter, sour cream, and sugar with a mixer on high speed until pale and fluffy, for 8 minutes. scrape down sides of bowl. reduce speed to medium, add vanilla.

lightly beat eggs in a separate bowl then add to sugar mixture in 4 additions, mixing thoroughly after each addition and scraping down sides. reduce speed to low, add flour mixture in 4 additions, mixing until just incorporated.

toss blueberries in the 2 tablespoons of flour and fold into batter. divide batter between pans and distribute evenly and smooth tops. sprinkle 2 tablespoons sanding sugar over each cake. bake until a tester inserted into the center of each cake comes out clean, about 65 minutes. let cool in pans on a wire rack for 30 minutes. remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire rack.

*lemon cream topping:
 
combine 1 cup heavy cream, 1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar, and 2 teaspoons lemon zest in a bowl. beat until soft peaks form.

3 comments:

JWolfgramm said...

Hey!! I was friends with Tyler at BYU. I got your blog address from his facebook. You have some awesome recipes on here. I've already made 3 things and they all tasted so yummy. My husband thanks you!!:) Ive already shared your blog with about 5 friends so far. I hope you don't mind. I love how you have pictures for each recipe and how you update with new recipes all the time. Thanks so much. Keep it up!!
-Joanie Wolfgramm

Valerie said...

Thank you so much Joanie! I am so glad to hear that someone is actually getting use out of my blog and you are definitly welcome to share it! :)
-Valerie

Shannon said...

Made this blueberry pound cake and loved it! Moist and the perfect amount of sweet. My whole family loved it too. Thanks for sharing!