Gingerbread and Lemon Curd Trifle with Blackberry Sauce
- Nonstick vegetable oil spray
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons minced crystallized ginger
- 10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- Lemon Curd Filling, recipe follows
- Blackberry Sauce, recipe follows
Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350 degrees F. Spray 1 half-sheet pan with nonstick cooking spray. Line bottom of pan with parchment paper; spray paper.
Sift flour and next 6 ingredients into medium bowl. Mix in crystallized ginger. Using an electric mixer, beat butter in large bowl until fluffy. Beat in brown sugar. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time. Gradually beat in molasses, followed by 1 cup boiling water. Mix in grated lemon peel. Gradually mix in dry ingredients.
Transfer batter to prepared pan. Bake until a tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, about 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool for 15 minutes. Run a knife around the pan sides. Turn out onto a rack and peel off paper. Cool and cut into 1-inch cubes.
Using a trifle bowl, start with an even layer of gingerbread cubes, top with 1/3 of the lemon curd mixture, and 1/3 of the blackberry sauce. Repeat 2 more times. Top with remaining whipped cream. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight before serving.
Lemon Curd Filling:
- 2 (11-ounce) jars prepared lemon curd (in the jam section at grocery store)
- 2 cups heavy cream, sweetened with sugar and vanilla, beaten to soft peaks
Place lemon curd in a large bowl. Fold in half of the whipped cream until combined. Refrigerate if not using immediately. Reserve remaining whipped cream for the top of the trifle.
- 2 pints fresh blackberries, or 1 bag frozen blackberries, thawed
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons framboise (raspberry liqueur) (I used cranberry-apple juice)
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
Place blackberries, sugar, and salt in a medium saucepan and cook until the berries are soft and the sugar has melted. Transfer to a blender and blend until smooth. Pour through a strainer into a bowl. Stir in the framboise and lemon juice. Set aside until ready to use.