***Ok, so I posted this recipe about a month ago and I am still craving and dreaming about this pie! I think this has become one of my all-time favorite desserts!!!
Chocolate Cream Pie
- 12 oz. (1 to 2 boxes) chocolate wafers, finely ground in a food processor
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 8 oz. milk chocolate, finely grounded (or use chocolate chips)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 large egg whites
- sprinkle gelatin over milk; let soften 5 minutes. bring the cream and 2 tablespoons sugar to a boil in a small saucepan, stirring to dissolve sugar. add gelatin mixture, and stir to combine. remove from heat. add chocolate and vanilla; cover, and let stand 3 minutes. stir until thoroughly combined. pass mixture through a fine sieve into prepared cookie crust; discard any unmelted chocolate. chill until filling is set, about 6 hours or up to overnight.
- heat egg whites and remaining 3/4 cup sugar in the heatproof bowl of an electric mixer set over (not in) a pan of simmering water, stirring until whites are warm to the touch and sugar is dissolved. attach bowl to mixer; whisk on medium speed until soft peaks form. raise speed to high, and beat until peaks are stiff and glossy but not dry.
- using a flexible spatula, top pie with meringue, lifting to create peaks. use a small kitchen torch to brown meringue (or place under broiler, watching carefully as it will brown quickly). refrigerate until ready to serve, up to 1 day.