Sunday, November 29, 2009

The Inn Dinner Rolls

This is another recipe that I got from my mom and she has been making these rolls for years. I made them by myself for the first time last week and they were actually easier to make than I thought they would be. My cute husband wanted to watch me make them because he grew up watching his mom make crescent rolls. He even helped me out by telling me to use a pizza cutter to cut out the rolls instead of a regular knife. It was amazing how much easier it was using the pizza cutter!
The Inn Dinner Rolls
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons dry yeast
  • 2 cups warm water
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup butter, softened
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 1/2 cup dry milk powder
  • 1 egg
  • 6 1/2 cups flour

in mixer combine yeast and water. let stand 5 minutes. add sugar, butter, salt, dry milk, 2 cups flour and egg. beat together until very smooth. add 2 more cups of flour, one at a time, until smooth. add one more cup of flour, 1/2 cup at a time until it is well mixed in.

turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead until it is smooth and satiny. gather dough into a ball and place into a greased bowl. cover and let rise in a warm place until double in size.

use the last of the flour as needed on the board for rolling and shaping the dough. cut or mold into desired shapes. place on baking sheets or pans. brush surface of rolls with melted butter. let rise in a warm place until double in size.

bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until browned to your satisfaction. makes about 2-3 dozen rolls.

*for crescent shaped rolls:

divide dough in half. roll one half into a large circle, about 1/4 inch thick. cut dough into 16 pieces, like a pie. roll up each piece starting at the large end, wrapping point around the roll. place on baking sheets, 4 across, 4 down. repeat with second half of dough.

1 comment:

CamiGustin said...

I made almost the same exact thing for Thanksgiving, the recipe is almost identical! I use a pizza cutter too, my problem is rolling the dough in a perfect circle so they turn out the same size. Looks like you did well! :)

Are you using your sweet camera to take these pics? Looking good!